Visitors

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Injury bug strikes FDL, Olmo Dorato


While reviewing the results from the races this weekend, I could not help but notice the rash of injuries that struck my friends Finlay from FDL Lodge and Ettore from Olmo Dorato.

As I scanned the results, I noticed an injury in the first race to the 3yo colt Easy Cee, Ettore's new acquisition. On the very same PF race day, June 14th, in the 2 mile Queen's Vase, Ettore also had another 3yo colt, Gorad Gomel, suffer an injury.

Incredibly, just 3 days later on June 17th, Smartly Dubai also went down to injury. These were not minor injuries either, as you can see below:
  • Easy Cee - 18 days
  • Gorad Gomel - 24 days
  • Smartly Dubai - 36 days
I scrolled down through the results more carefully, fearful that I would find yet another injury for Olmo Dorato,

Instead, I discovered that Finlay, not to be outdone, had incurred no less than 4 injuries this week. To make matters worse, three of the four were lengthy, as you can see:
  • Princely Status - 23 days
  • Zephyrbab - 7 days
  • Double Dome - 29 days
  • Excellent Son - 31 days
For the week there were a total of 13 injuries, 7 of which were suffered by either Olmo Dorato or FDL. Very bad luck gentleman.

4 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

I think here is a simple answer here Jim - lack of rest. All their horses run on the min amount of rest and rarely have more than 1 real week off.

Each to their own but in this game i like to think there is no such thing as too much rest.

Jim Webber said...

Perhaps NN. I didn't do any research to see what kind of rest these horses were working with.

I agree, the more rest the better.

With only 11 racers, one of which is on the shelf for the rest of the year, it is tough for me to be patient. But I'm trying!

I would like to race each horse every 6 weeks, but I haven't quite been able to show that much restraint yet....

Ali said...

Every 6 weeks? If you manage it I will build a shrine to you! It is really hard for me, as I would like some money to participate in the year end auction. So I feel I have to run my horses more. Although I try not to run them every week. It is sooo hard having only 5 stalls and it is also soo hard trying not to get to many horses before I can handle them!

Jim Webber said...

Well, the every six weeks refers to PF weeks Ali, not real time weeks. I could NEVER be that patient! :)