Visitors

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Two lessons learned, stable life goes on....


I've re-learned some lessons in the past couple weeks....

1) Do not discuss plans on horse sales and acquisitions with anyone but your most trusted allies.

I recently made the mistake of relating my plans regarding a horse that was available via auction, to a fellow PF participant. He relayed that info to another stable and a plot to thwart my acquisition was born. The whole tasteless affair has been resolved, but my reputation has been unforgivably besmirched on the forum. I'll remember this episode well and my future dealings with these two stables will be very limited.

2) Never give up too early on a well-bred horse with a nice AR.

Even though she is by my beloved War Machine, and half-sister to Union Jack, the 3yo filly Rogue had been a bit of a disappointment. She had not won a race in 13 starts and had put up acceptable but unremarkable PSR's. I grew restless and decided to sell her.

I had the common sense at least, to set a high reserve of $500,000. It was not met ($250,000 was the high bid) and Rogue stayed at Otsego Farms. She responded by winning her next race with a 97 PSR and pocketing $120,000. My confidence in Rogue has been restored, and while she may not be a superstar, she will be a solid entry in the underpopulated F&M races next year.

Also, Mister Fantastic, a slowly maturing horse, has started to come of age. Due to my impatience, I have debated selling him for the past season and a half. Having raced just 6 times by the start of his 4yo season, he was fresh and finally seemed ready to compete. MF has finished 2,2,2,1 in his last four races and is obviously gaining confidence in his own abilities.

I bred him and I'm very glad that I waited for him to mature rather than shipping him out after 4-5 mediocre outings.

Upward and onward!



3 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Your reputation in this household has never waned - I too have been burnt too often by an innocent remark or by the newer players thinking they are cleverer than us - at least I have the reassurance that I am still playing and they arent!

Jim Webber said...

Thank you Amanda.

There are many other PF participants however, that do not know me as well as you and the post entitled "otsego unethical" struck a nerve.

I certainly don't want people thinking that I acted unethically in any way. That thread was just an ill-conceived, knee-jerk reaction by a guy who didn't get his way.

joshkayll said...

That post was out of line mate don't worry about it.. I have always respected you and your stable, and you have been willing to help out. Josh