Visitors

Monday, January 11, 2010

Monsoon on the move?


With the acquisition of Arctic Fox, I have almost reached a point of satisfaction as far as my band of broodmares is concerned.

I looked her racing record over very carefully and liked what I saw enough to buy her without even seeing the AR. The fact that she was well-bred by Stonewall Stables was an added incentive.

When I examined her superlative AR, I knew that I had indeed hit the jackpot. When she finishes racing after the 2013 season, I'm sure she will be a very successful broodmare; joining False Demon, Shattered Record, Affirm Gal, In Spirit, Second Strike, Ace of Grace, and Immortal, in a group that is supremely capable of producing quality stayers.

Nova is my lone sprinter/miler and she'll stay on permanently because she was one of the fastest fillies this game has ever seen.

That leaves Monsoon. She is the reason that I said I was "almost" satisfied with my band of broodmares.

Her race record was pretty ordinary, but she did flash some speed. Her first offspring, Otsego's Sabretooth, is showing some talent. So why am I restless about her?

Well... she's probably not well-suited to produce stayers and she really wasn't fast enough for me to keep her as a source of sprinters. Translation: She's gonna be sold.

We are interested primarily in producing long-distance horses here at Otsego Stud. Monsoon is a nice horse who is capable of good foals, but she doesn't follow our business plan, and she's not quite good enough for an exception to be made.

Look for her on the sales page in a few days at an affordable price. Of course, private inquiries are always welcome.

1 comment:

Jim Webber said...

Looks like she'll go to EV. There has been no interest.