Visitors

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Up from the ashes....



I find myself in a very odd position this racing season.

I like all of my horses very much. There is not a single horse left that I feel is completely expendable. In prior seasons, I've always had a Hex, or an Altamente Reactivo that I could jettison off to make room... or to just make myself feel better about a bad stretch at the track.

In 2013 however, my stable is tighter than a new boot. With all of the breeders and foals, spots for racers are at a premium. I have already thrown all of the ballast overboard.

And yet, I'm expecting a below-average racing season.

Let's face the truth. My best racer, A View to a Kill, is nearing the end of his career and coming off a bad injury.

Sabretooth and Shatterstar are both serviceable runners, but neither is a GR1 option. Perhaps not GR2 either.

Huntress, Starfire, Titanium, and Ultron may never pan out. All have been average or worse thus far in their careers.

Arctic Fox was picked up strictly as a broodmare. Tombstone is about to be planted on Boot Hill, and Domino just hasn't shown the talent I expected, given her breeding.

That leaves four untested 2yo's who won't see the track until later this season (Crossbones, House of M, Nebula) if at all (War Hammer).

As I said. It's odd. I'm expecting the worst and yet, I don't really want to get rid of any of these horses. I'm gonna run with them and see what happens.

Why? Because I've got faith in my yearlings and foals that are coming up and I am willing to wait.

With foals on the way that are sired by the likes of War Machine, Nightwing, Union Jack, Jenny's My Gal, Run Missy Run, Revenge, Memcay, and Moet, I'm very confident that Otsego Farms will come up from the ashes to produce the roses of success.

No comments: