Visitors

Saturday, February 27, 2010

11:58 am. Better buy Fox.

Some people may call it a cheap shot. 

Fox, a 12yo broodmare that I have always liked, has been sitting out there for a week with a $10,000 bid from Glenmore Park.  I had decided several days ago that I was gonna have her, but I didn't want to tip my hand too soon and cause a bidding war.

I'm sure that Glenmore was feeling quite confident since there has been no bidding activity at all since he placed the bid of $10k.  I've been patient however, hovering just under the surface of the water, like a crocodile waiting for a wildebeest to lower it's snout for a drink.

At precisely 11:58, giving myself a minute or two leeway to account for timing differences, my bid of $10,100 was placed and moments later the sale was over with the name Otsego Farms stamped firming on the bill of sale.

I was looking for another mare to complete my compliment of 10 broodmares, and she fit the bill nicely.  It is also a reunion of sorts as Fox is the mother of Arctic Fox, who is currently racing at Otsego Farms and may very well retire to the breeding barn herself next season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you bought her--about 10 minutes after I bid for her I thought, 'what the hell am I doing?'

Jim Webber said...

Sounds like sour grapes to me brother. You can cancel your bid at anytime. If you felt that way, I wonder why you did not do so?

I'm very happy to have her for a measly $10K. I think she'll make a very nice broodmare for a few years.

Anonymous said...

How do you cancel a bid--have wanted to do so a few times but not known how. Originally had thought of Fox for Reichenbach Falls but now looking to send Paint The Roses to him--according to some 'experts' she is only average and is winning against ordinary horses