Visitors

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The greatest race of all-time.

I've watched virtually every one of the races that my horses have run, along with hundreds of other big races over my 10 seasons in Photo Finish.  To this day, I still  contend that the greatest race I've ever seen was #465, the 8.5f Fountain of Youth Stakes on 2-21-04. 

It was a stiff field containing such Photo Finish icons as Dubai Gold, Thief of Hearts, Troll Tower, and Blushing Approval.  As a result, Nightwing was a 14-1 longshot.  Even Argonath, Spendthrift, and Swaleaway all had better odds from the bookmakers.  It was Nightwing's third career race and his first try on dirt.

He was post position 7 in the 11-horse field and quickly fell back to trail the field when they got underway.

1F - 12 lengths off the leader.
2F - 15 lengths back.
3F - 15 lengths back as they come out of the first turn.
4F - Still 15 lengths off the pace.
5F - 13 lengths back after having made up a little ground.
6F - Still 13 lengths back midway through the back turn.  Just 2.5 furlongs to go.
7F - Sweeping up and past a group but still 9 lengths back.  1.5 furlongs left.
7.5F - Battling Troll Tower for third.  Dubai Gold and Thief of Hearts are still 7 lengths ahead with just 1F to go.
8F - Blows past Troll Tower and making up ground on the tired leaders, but still 5 lengths back with just 1/16th of a mile to go.

To cap off a miraculous comeback, Nightwing went to the rail and showed incredible heart by running down Dubai Gold to win by a short length.

I have never seen a more exciting finish or a gutsier performance and that's why, in my opinion, it ranks as the best PF race of all-time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it. You won't have any winners for a long time.

Jim Webber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Webber said...

I removed my first comment. :)

Chelsey said...

Hmmm.. I guess whoever posted above didn't realize that this race was 9 years old.

Nightwing must have been horrible to own Jim. Waiting until the LAST possible minute to make his move. I'll have to check it out. :D

Exciting to watch... unless he falls a nose short. lol

Chelsey said...

By 1 furlong he had already dropped back 12 lengths!?!? Geeze.. did he walk about the gate?

Jim Webber said...

That is not a typo. He came out at effort-level 1 and was 12 lengths back at the 1F pole.

Chelsey said...

See I never had that... I had more of a look out for the closers... Handsome Man HAD to be on the lead... Even if he ran at level 5 for almost the entire race. He needed a bit of nightwings patience and nightwing needed some of Handsome Mans impatience. Lol Why couldn't they have found a happy medium somewhere?!?

joshkayll said...

Gee Anonymous I'd hate to make a negative comment on every post mate.. Write your name next time ;)

Yeah Jim I've got to get around to watching this race! I remember you mentioning it a long time ago and now I've got hrfan I'd love to have a look. Good luck this season mate!