Visitors

Friday, March 12, 2010

It gets earlier every year...

We are just in weeks 19-20 of the racing season and already the stud advertisements for next year have begun.  Time sure flies, huh?

Foxie fired the first salvo a month or so ago when she began lining up suitors for Jenny's My Gal.  Then just recently, a flurry of activity began with Hoosier Daddy, Bally Doyle, and Oak Tree all commencing to make arrangements for their fine studs.

I was able to get my name on two stud lists.  Our Differences will pair up with either Nova or Immortal, and A View to a Kill will match with Shattered Record.

Interestingly, the stud usage comes with a proviso in the case of three of these four stables. 

Foxie's Lodge is only accepting list mares for Jenny's My Gal.  And, in some cases, Bally Doyle and Oak Tree studs are both open to approved stables only.

I have absolutely no problem with either case.  In fact, I've been doing it myself, unofficially of course, for the past couple seasons.

I don't charge stud fees for War Machine, Nightwing, and Union Jack.  As it says on my blog, they are available only on a quid pro quo basis.  Translation:  If you have a stud I want to use, or if we have had successful dealings in the past, or if I like you, you can use my studs.

I don't even advertise my boys anymore.  If they don't get used outside of Otsego Farms, so be it.

By the way, I'll be retiring Arctic Fox after this season.  Is it too early to send the year-end report to Laurie?

4 comments:

Jim Webber said...

Allrighty then....

Looks like I've got a spot with Take A Gander as well. He'll be a nice match with either False Demon or Second Strike who are both dirt-lovers who can carry 8-10 furlongs.

Chelsey said...

I want a spot to War Machine in the near future... I love both my Southern Charm fillies from him and the first looked strong in her win a few weeks ago (keep an eye out for her Jim!!) But sadly she's booked this and next year... Put me down for 2015 to War Machine please! ;) But I doubt I'll be able to wait that long for another War Machine baby.

But I agree I think people never stop breeding plans. Lol it starts too early for me because it gives me too much time to change my mind! :)

Jim Webber said...

I have my eye on Southern Belle Chelse. War Machine will be available to you whenever you are ready.

DJ said...

I think all these early birds are nuts! I won't even start thinking about breeding until the last week or so of the racing season.