Visitors

Friday, April 16, 2010

Fairy tales can come true. It can happen to you....

Up until recently, I had not thought of Domino as a broodmare candidate.  She just didn't seem to have the lung strength that I prefer.  But new information has made me reconsider her future.

Her AR, which was probably written by the Brothers Grimm, stipulates plainly that she is a sprinter.  Given her parentage of War Machine x Sharp Cat that did not seem likely, but who am I to question what is written so resolutely in black and white?  Therefore, she has been running, with mediocrity, at around 6 furlongs.

Imagine my surprise when I discover that as a 3yo, she has a top speed / long stamina combo of 92/70?  That my friends is the same score that Smart Money had on the day he ran the Kentucky Derby in 2006.

I am not suggesting that Domino is as good as Smart Money.  That would be absurd.  I am suggesting however, that Domino is probably not a sprinter and I feel somewhat cheated that I am finding this out only now, at the end of her career.

War Machine was 92/71 when he won the Kentucky Derby.  Domino was 92/70.  This is a sprinter?  It's my own fault for believing that fool AR...I ate the poisoned apple.  But, if I had the correct information from the start, this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

I've been proposing that all foals are delivered with the full HRF data sheet.  Obviously, it should be confidential; share it or not at your discretion.  But for Heaven's sake, lets get the info out there so we don't waste racing careers trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Anyway, after seeing that Domino has more steam than I ever suspected, I'm seriously considering keeping her on as a breeder.  Given my current stall allotment, that would mean another mare may have to be sold.

Maybe I'll have to go with eleven broodmares and cut my racers down to just 5 or 6.  One thing is for certain though.  I have a new found respect for Domino and I'm darn sorry I sold her short for the past few years.  Who knows how many of you have done the same thing?  

All because of a lack of simple information.  Kind of a shame, isn't it?

3 comments:

Chelsey said...

Jim that's called the luck of racing in my humble opinion. Everyone makes those mistakes but does that mean we should get an open playbook to our horses? I know we have our opinions on opposite ends of the spectrum... And to a point I can understand your sentiments - I just think itl take away from the game. Yeah it might be easier to place those horses but is that better? I know that I've relied too much on te ARs but I've learned to push the limits on them - I have a 3 year old that is immature but is throwing PSRs in the 90s and 100s and I'm guessing and another who is a sprinter but runs well at 9 furlongs and is looking for more distance. For me it's just part of the game - and a key part. I do think that a new AR might be needed though.

Jim Webber said...

I originally thought a streamlined AR was the way to go, but I have come around 180 degrees in my thinking.

The AR's are incorrect and worthless. They cause more harm than good in my opinion.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record; by the time my horse is racing at age 2, I don't think I should have to guess at all that shit. My trainers should have me fully briefed, right? It's completely ridiculous that I have a 2yo ready to race and I don't know if it's a sprinter or a router. It's preposterous!

I just don't see how anyone can argue this point.

chelsey said...

Agreed with you there Jim. We do need some accurate information. But imo we don't need to know the exact stats - there's a fine line between not enough info and too much.

But that's my last word on it. :D We can agree to disagree. :D