Visitors

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I don't hate sprinters...

With a breeding operation headed up by War Machine, Nightwing, and Union Jack, I don't see a lot of home-grown sprinters.  Because of those studs, and the compatible broodmares that I've accumulated, the vast majority of foals I produce are Classic or Long Distance types.

This is not necessarily due to a predilection to stayers, it is more or less the hand I've been dealt.  I have long-distance studs, therefore I produce long-distance foals.

Nova and Domino are mares I have that are more capable of cranking out sprinters, and if that happens I have no problem with it. 

But since I "specialize" in distance horses, I tend to keep my eyes open for available talent that falls into that category.  Enter Refractor, Art of Seduction, and La Force.

All three have stamina numbers that are very high.  That is what I look for.  I really don't care that much about the ancillary numbers and statistics, or what the AR says.  Art of Seduction and La Force are both AR-catagorized as Sprinters even though they have stamina numbers of 72. 

La Force is a particularly speculative purchase, having failed at three of the best stables in the game.  But just like in basketball where you can't coach height, in PF you can't coach stamina; and La Force seems to have it, so why not give him a try at distance?  Art of Seduction has only raced once so he is much less of a risk.  He has boatloads of stamina and that is what caught my eye.

Neither one is steeped in "the Force" like Refractor, who owns the eye-popping and elusive 73 stamina rating.  But for a measly $182,000 I picked up a couple nicely-bred horses that may have more innate talent than they've been given credit for.

Keep an eye open for them.  Depending on how they do, it'll give you an opportunity to marvel at my genius, or chuckle at my stupidity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to see Art Of Seduction sold after 1 start i wouldnt expect that foal to do anything till 3 ... I still think out of your 3 stallions that Union Jack will be the best stallion in the long run he just ticks all the right boxes to me

BTW nice win with Refractor on the weekend


Foxie

Jim Webber said...

You might be right about Union Jack. Out of the three, he has the best AR by far.

Ettore may have given up on Art a little prematurely. We'll see.

Thanks on Refractor. That win re-energized me quite a bit.

Anonymous said...

I just realised i have a 1/2 to Refractor out of JMG ... Should be interesting

Goodluck this week Sir Jim


Foxie