Visitors

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Thwarted, but not defeated in my attempts to buy a horse

I have been trying for the last month to buy one more good racer or up-and-comer.  I want a proven commodity with another season or two in the tank, or a blue-chip prospect; and I'm willing to pay the necessary price.

I've recently had my eye on two horses, neither of which was ever offered on the sales page.  On one horse, I made an unsolicted offer.  The other horse was offered to me as a possibility.  Negotiations on both showed some promise, but were ultimately unsuccessful.  Understandably, owners are leery about selling good horses.

So, I continue to have my eye open for talent.  I've got just a single open stall, so I'm being picky about who occupies it.  Once it is filled, I'll be out of the market until late in the season.  At that time, I'll be clearing out some stock to make room for 10 incoming foals.

La Force, Necromancer, and War Hammer are three names that have come up as prospects to be sold.  However, I've made a mental committment to keep these fella's until late in the season to give them every chance to succeed.  Eventually, a couple others will be chosen to join that outgoing group.

But for now, my energies are aimed towards one more solid purchase.  If anyone reads this and wishes to make a suggestion of one of their horses, please do.  I'll ask that you not be offended if I decline, because I am looking for a very specific type of talent.

No comments: