Visitors

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

OPINION - Telling it like it is



There has been recent debate in the forum regarding critical comments made in some pre-race articles written by our resident statistician, DJ.

It looks like the majority of stable owners have no problem with the authors candid comments. However there was a faction that voiced lengthy opposition to the very idea of negative comments.

Regardless of which side of that fence you're on, I think it is important that our "media" be allowed, and even encouraged, to express their opinions, both positive and negative. These opinions and thoughts breath life into Photo-Finish and generate conversation and debate.

Obviously, it is important that owners not take comments personally. DJ does not have an axe to grind with anyone. He just expreses opinions based on what he observes on the track. I have known DJ for a few years via the Photo-Finish medium, and I have noticed that he is an absurdly fair and reasonable individual.

Also remember that DJ's comments are not about the overall value of the horse, they are about the horse's chances and viability in a particular race.

I have been on the receiving end of criticism a few times regarding horse placement and I must admit, I didn't take it all that well either. I defended my position the best I could, but I never suggested that Joe the Trackman alter his excellent commentaries just to spare my feelings.

So, if you disagree with an assessment or prediction, go on the record and explain why you feel differently. But let's try not to discourage our media from "telling it like it is".

No comments: