Visitors

Friday, December 11, 2009

I want the horse. What's it gonna take?


Like everyone else in Photo-Finish, every once in a while I have an urge to buy a specific horse.

It's not usually a horse that just happens to show up on the sales page. It's normally a horse that I've admired for some reason. Maybe it is the name, maybe it's how the horse performed in a race, Perhaps something else.

I remember a few years ago, I commented on the fact that War Machine has ratings of EX/VG for speed and stamina in the Horse Racing Fantasy game. At the time, he was one of a very select few who possessed those stellar ratings. Shortly thereafter, it came to my attention that the filly Jungle Fever also had the EX/VG rating. Since that time, I've really wanted to own her.

I had a chance to buy her a while ago when she was languishing as an unemployed broodmare at Endless Vista. I was in negotiations with Laurie, but decided to pass when I noticed that she was a bit finicky on surfaces. Months later, I reconsidered and decided to pick her up at the annual auction, but the bids quickly escalated well beyond what I had in mind. She was sold to Yeguada Lore Toki for $1,451,000 and my chances of rectifying my mistake and finally buying her went out the window.

At the beginning of the 2011 season, I happened to watch an 11 furlong Allowance at Shenandoah Downs. I believe I was watching to check out Hamahiru, a colt by Nightwing. But, I was mesmerized by the superb performance of the 2yo Ansla Sax. He bolted to an early lead, and cruising magnificently, won easily by 5 lengths.

I corresponded intermittently over a few months with Jim Hutton about acquiring Ansla Sax, but could not pry him loose. Hutton mentioned that the AR stipulated his best distance at 10 furlongs, but I just couldn't believe it. Every race I watched followed the same pattern; a tremendous start, lead the field for approximately 6 furlongs, fade out of contention.

Regardless what the AR said, I was convinced Ansla Sax was a sprinter, and based on how he ran, the shorter the race the better. I thought I could make a winner out of him if I could get ahold of him, but Hutton would not relent. He had 2 unremarkable seasons at HHH, then was sent packing to Endless Vista.

There have been others. Some I got. Most I did not.

I've got my eyes open, so watch your email...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sir Jim did u see there is a colt called Sir Jim that was born this season i think maybe was named after u ;);)



Foxie

Jim Webber said...

Sweet!