Visitors

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

I guess I'm not as resolute as I thought...


"I'm expecting the worst and yet, I don't really want to get rid of any of these horses. I'm gonna run with them and see what happens." - Jim Webber, January 16, 2010
It was just over two weeks ago when I uttered those words.  Funny how fast things can change. isn't it?

Eleven races into the 2013 racing season and stoic acceptance is turning into outright panic.  I'm ready to ship off half of my stable in spite of my previous statement.

C'mon now.  It shouldn't be this hard.  How much better can you do than a colt out of Nova by War Machine?  Ultron has kick-ass breeding, a kick-ass AR and a kick-ass name.  Maybe that's why he keeps getting his ass kicked?  That last place finish at 7f was an eye-opener.  Six furlongs is obviously his upper limit, so I'll try him at 5f and see if there is any improvement.  If not, he goes.

I was very happy to acquire the unraced 3yo filly Sazerac at the year-end auction.  But after two lackluster performances, I'm ready to throw in the towel.  She should be mature now so her shortcoming may simply be a lack of talent.  With stalls at an absolute premium at this time, she may be on the way out.

I'm a real fan of Tombstone.  He remains an enigma however.  It seems like he should be a successful racer but he can't seem to get it together.  I've got a lot of respect for his sire Vampirical, and that's the only reason I've given him the latitude of 17 races without a win.  But his time is running out.

These are the only horses in the crosshairs at the moment. I'm taking aim.  It's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger...

No comments: