Visitors

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Good week upsets plans...

I have to clear a couple stalls before the end of the year, and this weeks racing was supposed to finalize my plans for the disposition of two racers.  Instead, the success they had has muddied the waters considerably.

I bought Art of Seduction due to his breeding and tantalizing stamina rating.  His first race for Otsego Farms produced a decent but unremarkable 8th place finish in a crowded field of 18.  His trip was not clean but he finished well, so even though he was out of the money by far, it was a promising showing.  In spite of that, he was on the chopping block due to necessity.

His race this week was supposed to cement his position on the sales page.  But, a 4th place finish in the Kentucky Cup Juvenile has me reconsidering, especially since he had a boatload of unused stamina at the end of the race, reinforcing my original thought of his suitability for much longer races.

Another racer who was starting to become dispensable in my eyes is Nebula.  Out of the money in her last two races, and seemingly making no progress ability-wise, I had decided that another finish off the board finish would spell doom for the well-bred filly.  I shortened her distance a bit, thinking that may help, but she still went off at rather long 11-1 odds.  Seeing that the oddsmakers again had no love for her, I prepared myself to sell her this week.

Nebula looked spectacular, making a hash of the field and winning by an easy 7 lengths.  Any thoughts of selling her went out the window.

So, two racers that I had immediate plans to sell, have both gotten a reprieve.

On the other hand, Necromancer, who has produced very well in his time at our stable, has now moved to the bottom of the totem pole along with 2yo bust Quasar.  Watch the sales page if you have any interest...

3 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Think I have managed to whittle most of the dead wood from my stock - but just goes to show one will always slip through - look at Majestic Rooney!!!

Jim Webber said...

That is my worst nightmare Amanda. It'll happen sooner or later to all of us.

I have to say though that Majestic Rooney's case, I didn't see that one coming!

Amanda O'Brien said...

You and me both!!! I like to think overall that if I sell a horse its not gonna make much impact anywhere else! I was looking back at his earlier records and was like - WTF did I do wrong other than not waiting for him to fully mature.... no indication in his early races this season that he would explode as he has.