Visitors

Monday, March 21, 2011

How much is a horse worth? Chapter Three - The Humorous Interlude

This conversation took place recently on the PF Forum.  Aadil was looking to buy a promising horse and pay up to $5,000,000.


HHH:  Take a look at If The Cat Fitz. He's started out very good.  What amount would you pay?

Aadil:  How much do you want? A mill?

HHH:  He's worth a minimum $3,000,000.

Aadil:  Hmm I think I'll pass..sorry, but thanks for the consideration.

HHH:  Hey, no problem.  That let's me keep a horse that is gonna produce for my stable.


Less than two weeks later, If The Cat Fitz is up for auction on the sales page, with no reserve!

Seems like Aadil was willing to negotiate a bit.  I mean, he didn't shut down the deal right away.  He asked if Hutton would consider a million dollars.  When negotiations quickly broke down, Hutton responded that he'd keep the horse and reap the benefits himself. 

I certainly have no problem with that.  Except for the fact that the fickle Mr. Hutton soured on If The Cat Fitz when he did not fair well in a couple GR1 races.  His resolve to "keep a horse that is gonna produce" quickly morphed into "blow this fella out with no reserve". 

This astounds me to no end.  Hutton buys worthless cast-off horses continuously, and gets rid of horses that have potential!  ITCF won two straight races before his setbacks against GR1 competition.  Heck, here's an idea.  How about rolling him back into a GR3 race and seeing how he does?

Some people may exclaim, "Quit picking on Mr. Hutton!"  I assure you I'm not targeting HHH.  I just look for interesting angles to write about and this one jumped right out at me.  Can I help it if he constantly puts himself in that position?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haahahhaha it seems to me hes trying to make that 1 big sale to set his stable up for the next few seasons money wise

All i do is laugh now at his way of going about playing PF he chops and changes every few weeks about what hes going to do

I also think he buys and sells alot of horses cause hes looking for that 1 great horse ... Hate to tell him but that champ he is looking for aint on the sales page and never will be ... Only way to do that now is to breed your own



Foxie

Anonymous said...

Hutton has to have a decent amount of money. He sold a broodmare to Chiquita for 4 million.

Smokey