Visitors

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Domino solidifies her spot as Otsego broodmare

Otsego Farms breeds for distance.  

You can take one look at the stallions and figure that out.  Or, you can look at the broodmares and what you find will also lend weight to the above statement.  Unless of course, you look at Domino.

She was a sprinter/miler, sired by War Machine out of Sharp Cat.  She never had much success on the track and eventually was sold to Golden Acres.  A few short months later Otsego owner Jim Webber, having expressed regret at having sold her in the first place, repurchased her and shipped her back to Michigan.

"I'm not sure why I continue to reserve a spot for Domino.  My Head Trainer tells me she'll never produce a stayer", Webber mentioned in a recent interview from his on-site gymnasium.  "But I feel that she has some intrinsic ability that will manifest itself in quality foals."  

And he may be right.  Domino has borne two foals, both of whom are drawing compliments from the connections at Otsego Farms.  Fillies Brick House (2014) sired by Machete, and Tricky Woo (2015) sired by Yeager, are both projected as multi-surface sprinters with above-average speed.  

"I'm very satisfied with both of these fillies", Webber grunted as he finished his 50th push-up, concluding his 2-hour daily workout.  They may change my mind about breeding sprinters."

1 comment:

Jim Webber said...

Nebula has also got me thinking that she may make a nice broodmare. With her nice speed at 91/92, and 68 stamina, I may have to find a spot for her as well. If I decide to keep her, I'd have to sell a current mare. It would probably be False Demon.