Visitors

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Just rambling...

Interesting factoid:  Since I have had my own studs, I have bred 45 foals.  Thirty of them have been by Otsego Farms studs War Machine (13), Union Jack (9), and Nightwing (8).  All of the remaining 15 have been single use studs with the exception of Jennys My Gal, who has been used twice.

I recently sent an unsolicited email to another owner offering to buy their horse for $1,000,000.  They didn't deign to reply.  I dislike that and consider it a discourtesy.  I always remember that kind of thing...

In a year where I've had quite a few disappointments, the first race win by 2yo French Twist (Deux Francais x Nova) was extremely satisfying.  His AR hinted that he might have the right stuff.  Hopefully he can realize his potential.

Three year old colt Astrapios, looked very handy indeed by finishing 3rd in the Caulfield Cup this weekend.  I didn't really expect him to win, but with Hagrid's Backhand being perhaps over her head distance-wise (she wasn't) and Molecular being on a short 14-day rest, I thought he might pull off an upset.  He looked very strong at the end, lending further credence to my opinion that he will be a 2-miler in the future.  In fact, his next race will be at 16 furlongs.

I won the Survival contest to start the season!  My choice, was a horse that I have been watching, Planet Fiftyone.  He had a patsy field and looked like a no-brainer to me.  Turned out I was right; then Iron Mike missed his pick, giving me the win.  I can use the 750k, and a spot to Sinking Fear will be very welcome.  I see him as a perfect match for my mare Ace Of Grace.

After selling Anck Su Namen and Kit Fisto last week, 4yo colt Azrael has hit the sales page this week.  He's not really a bad racer, but I'm looking for some new blood and he has not shown me quite enough to keep his spot.  I've got another 3-4 horses who are on the bubble as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,

I still love seeing fresh ink on your blog :). It's always highly enlightening.

I considered Kit Fisto quite the steal at the time and in just one run he was almost recouped his cost, I don't have the benefit of seeing the races but I thought his form around 8f-8.5f at stk level was well worth the punt.

Add to that my new love for War Machine sons, in particular 4yo ones ;).

I know he's not going to be a group horse, but my newfound respect for UG stks races sees his as a nice candidate.

Zoe @ Elite

Jim Webber said...

Yeah, Kit's not bad. You got a deal! I hope he does well for ya Zoe!

I'm gonna try to write more now. I've been so damn busy running and working out this summer...

Thanks!!!