Visitors

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated" - Refractor

5yo Superstayer Refractor of Otsego Farms got quite testy recently with condescending reporters crowding around his stall.  The questions were coming at the big bay racer in rapid fire fashion.

"Are you washed up?"

"How do you feel about getting beat three times in a row?"

"Are you injured?"

"Is management to blame for your inability to win?"

Refractor shook his head, bared his teeth and responded, "No.  Pissed off.  No.  Maybe."

He continued, "My PSR's have been 110, 120, and 119, so it's not like I'm slowing down.  Honestly, I felt a little over rested and sluggish at the Diamond Stakes.  The Metropolitan was a debacle; I'm not fond of short races.  I hope Mr. Webber doesn't race me at less than 16 furlongs again. At the Melbourne Cup, I was the favorite and ran a 3:17.49 for God's sake.  That would have been good enough to win easily last year, but just wasn't this year.  Pluto had a career race and the filly Wherewouldwebenow had no weight on her."

"Mr. Webber is gonna feed me well and give me some rest.  I'll win my next race, I don't give a damn who they throw out against me.  I do hope that Pluto will be there though.  I have a score to settle with that pretty boy."

3 comments:

Chelsey T said...

No doubt he'll come back strong.

Would've been a really interesting press conference though! I'm still working on automatic lead changes with my horses... :)

Anonymous said...

Pluto and Refractor have met 10 times. with a 5-5 tie record.
But Refractor has a Breeder's Cup win.
Pluto has won the last 3 as both were 5 year olds.

I hope they will race again to prove the King of the stayers in Photo Finish.

I think it's one of the best rivalerys in the game!

Jim Webber said...

Oh, they will certainly meet again. Refractor insists on it!