Visitors

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Quick Hits...

Battlestar has Triple Crown aspirations.
Three year old colt Battlestar (Nightwing x In Spirit) has the potential to do some damage on the 10F-12F circuit this season.  He has a fairly uncommon combination of speed, stamina, and kick which should set him apart.  I won't divulge the exact numbers, but he is the only horse I have which fits into this category.  Unfortunately, he is rather picky on hard surfaces, which may cause an occasional scratch.  I will try to set his schedule so that a run at the American Triple Crown is possible.

Liam, the 4yo colt acquired from Whisperwood late last season, has been a bit of a forgotten commodity at Otsego Farms.  In fact, I just noticed that he was not even listed on the spreadsheet listing all of my horses.  The fact is, I am very high on this fellow, especially after he won his first and only race since we acquired him.  With numbers of 79/92/92/67/1000, he has more ability than a sprinter, distance-wise, but has exceptional speed for a miler.  We'll target him at 7F-8F, expecting very good results.

We're looking forward to seeing unraced 3yo filly Slaya (A View to a Kill x Shattered Record) hit the track later this season.  She is a very late maturing type, not hitting her peak until age 4-5, but we'll see where she's at with a try later in the season.  She looks like a multi-surface Classic type racer.

Mona Lisa (War Machine x Second Strike), a slow-starting sprinter with questionable speed and poor stamina, will be on an extremely short leash this season.  One start is all she'll get.  A PSR less than 75 and she's gone.

Ironically, Charlemagne, the 4yo colt who is a full brother to Mona Lisa, has almost worn out his welcome as well.  He has some ability, but has also been a disappointment.  I acquired their mother, Second Strike, for the sole purpose of breeding with War Machine.  She had a nice career and her AR looked to be a great fit with the Triple Crown winner.  The results were so pathetic though, that I decided to never pair her with War Machine again.  Then two foals later (Reichenbach Falls, Union Jack), I arranged a swap for this past breeding season with Foxies Lodge.  I used Sovereign Belle (War Machine), and she used Second Strike (Jenny's My Gal).


3 comments:

Chelsey T said...

Liam's kick seems exceptionally high. Is 10,000 a rarity?

Jim Webber said...

Kicks over 1000 are uncommon. I don't know that I would say the are rare.

However, I think it's safe to say that it is fairly rare for a horse who has a speed of 92.

To put it into perspective, Refractor has a current Kick of 1063, and Alphabet checks in at 828.

Chelsey T said...

Haha yeah... Clearly I meant 1,000...

But it'll be interesting to see how he goes this year.