Visitors

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Let's shuffle things up a bit, shall we?


In my opinion, my breeding operation has been somewhat unsuccessful.  The studs I have used have been solid (mostly War Machine, Nightwing, and Union Jack) so I felt that a change in the broodmares might be necessary.

After analyzing all of the mares, I decided that the first ones to be replaced will be Affirm Gal and Domino.  Affirm Gal was an above-average runner who has the genes to produce nice distance foals.  However, up to this point she has not meshed well with my studs.  Domino has actually thrown some nice looking foals, but I don't feel comfortable using her with my distance studs because of her propensity to produce sprinter/milers. Her last foal, and first colt, Tesseract (by Kostya) is actually a distance horse who looks exceptional on paper.

Taking their places for 2018 will be newly acquired Revenge Troll and sprinter Xtra Gold who will probably be retired after this season.

Revenge Troll was available from Endless Vista.  Her distance and surface preferences, speed, and intangibles make her an ideal fit at Otsego Farms.  She will certainly retire after this season and will match with War Machine.

Xtra Gold has a similar style as Domino, but is more talented.  I will not use her with any of my stallions, but will try to inject myself into the sprinting business with her as a foundation mare.

Two other Otsego mares, Second Strike and Nebula, may be available for sale or trade if there is any interest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also think u need to try some different broodmares ... I'm not going to knock War Machine and Nightwing but I wouldn't use them more than once a season and would look more of a variety of sires .. Gradient and A Bus would be a start


Foxie