Visitors

Sunday, March 15, 2015

At the moment, phasers are set to stun.


OK... so maybe I'm overreacting a bit.  I really don't have a huge problem with horses that are velocity challenged... as long as they are not Sprinters, Milers, or Classic racers.

Distance horses, and I mean horses that are 16F capable, usually have lower speed ratings, which within the mathematical breeding calculations of Photo Finish, accommodate the higher stamina ratings I crave.  

Occasionally though, a horse crops up that has a freakishly low speed rating that even loads of stamina and kick cannot overcome.  My mare Blank KD comes to mind.  Even stamina of 74 and kick of 1250 could not float that sluggish 84 speed rating.  She would have been unbeatable at races of 20F though.

As I said, in my stable, which breeds for true stayers, low speed doesn't necessarily spell doom.  Even so, 50% of my 2019 crop has the "Unfortunately" rating?  Seriously?  

As I thought about it more, I realized that the negativity portrayed in the AR was actually a good thing.  This rating will probably mean that 87 will be the high water mark for speed for these six foals.  An 87 rating will allow for a possible 74 in stamina, which is the holy grail for distance horses... exactly what I want.  

With that in mind, I decided to change my poster...




No comments: