Visitors

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Timing is everything

We've probably all been there before; the horror of giving up on a horse prematurely.  There is nothing more frustrating than dumping a racer, then watching it string together wins at another stable.

Fortunately, most of us have also been on the positive side of this kind of transaction.

I purchased 6yo male Acquarella at the beginning of his 4yo season.  At that time, he was already a million dollar winner, including $630,000 in winnings in his last 5 races.  Inexplicably, he ended up on the sales page, and even more inexplicably, he did not receive a single bid until I purchased him at the last moment for $21,000.  In the two seasons since, he has produced a record of 17-7-2-2-4 with earnings of $750,000.

There are stables that would scoff at those numbers because Acquarella is not a G1-type racer.  However, I get satisfaction by winning races and making good investments, regardless of the level of the racer.

Which is why I recently purchased the 5yo male Sisqo Falls for $10,000.  He has won $230,000 in his last four races, and doesn't appear spent to me, with two consecutive sub-2:00 10F appearances.  I envision him being a force on the G3 Classic tour in 2019.  Can't wait to see!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love the breeding of Sisqo Falls too :)

Jim Webber said...

Yes, I noticed that. Another reason why I wanted him.