Visitors

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Drastic measures needed?


Here we are, almost a quarter of the way through the 2010 racing season and Otsego Farms has just 2 wins on the books. Before the season began, I predicted 20-25 victories. Simple math has me projecting at 8-10. Yikes.

What can be done, other than jumping off a cliff?

I've been scouring the sales page and a couple horses looked somewhat interesting. But I didn't have an overwhelming urge to own any of them, so my bidding was half-hearted, and ultimately unsuccessful.

I sent some emails asking about the availability of a couple horses. My offers were politely rebuked.

I may be overreacting. I really feel that Union Jack and Confederation will both have solid seasons. Probably 3-4 wins each.

I love Stowaway. He's got speed and if I can follow my instincts and enter him in just Gr2 and Gr3 races, he should also have a handful of wins. By the way, I have entered him in the Golden Shaheen next weekend, so you can see how well I'm following my instincts.

Doomsday and Affirm Gal both have gas left in the tank. Heck, Doomsday put up a 101 PSR this weekend and still had his 15 race in-the-money streak snapped.

Kid Flash is also a decent horse who can win if he is correctly placed.

My insecurities start with the rest of my stable. Seven Memory, Sitio Estrategico, Candle of Life, and King of the Sea are all on thin ice. Actually Candle's ice is a bit thicker. I really like that horse for some reason. He has ingratiated himself to me somehow, just like Heavens Hall did a couple of years ago. The others though have not been performing well and I've been thinking that a change of venue may suit them.

My 3yo's Big Slick, Mister Fantastic, and Chancellorsville all get a pass due to inexperience.

I realize I've been rambling. Just thinking out loud really. The point is, somethings gotta give because I'm not liking the start I'm having this year. I'll give it a couple more weeks and if some wins don't materialize, I'll make some changes. If you're reading this and have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

6 comments:

Bill Miller said...

Before you jump, turn around. See that discheveled guy with the desperate look and the darting eyes? Yeah, I'm right there with you looking for suitable precipice. Without PersonallyMajestic I'd have nothing. I have one win and five places tis year, which sounds better than it really is. For the first time in many seasons, I am worried about expenses.

Great picture of the cliff flier, by the way. Funny.

Jim Webber said...

I can't imagine a sharp cookie like you having any trouble with expenses Bill. You've got a couple broodmares that would bring a pretty penny if you were inclined to sell. Apart from that, you've got a plethora of nice looking prospects that would bring easy cash. I like the look of a couple specifically. If you need an influx of moolah, let me know.

Unknown said...

Hi Jim,

You never emailed me back to reject my offer. :)

Jim Webber said...

Sorry Lise. Missed it somehow. I loved what I read. Let's talk! :)

Anonymous said...

I have only 1 win less then you jim so far this season , looking at it that way makes me look a whole lot better......lol

Anonymous said...

opps actually I have 2 wins as well