Visitors

Friday, March 28, 2008

New stall rule has Otsego brass racing to change plans


I have 31 stalls and 31 horses. Three of my horses are foals who are sharing a stall with their mother. So, under the old rules, I was using just 28 stalls and had three openings.

Even though the rule change doesn't officially take place until season end, the change regarding stabling has swept away my open stalls, effectively leaving me at full capacity.

I had plans to breed 5 foals this off-season. But because the new additions now will not be sharing a stall, I am forced to make room in my stable before I can produce even a single foal. This is prompting an immediate re-evaluation of my plans and my stable roster.

My current group of four broodmares include Nova, Shattered Record, Shadowcat, and newcomer In Spirit. Additionally, I had planned on adding Affirm Gal to that group to make five. Because having five foals means that I would have to add five stalls, I will instead make plans to reduce my number of broodmares.

My revised plan is that Shadowcat will be sold and Affirm Gal will race another season as a 6yo. That will mean just three foals this year, by Nova, Shattered Record, and In Spirit.

I will still need to clear three stalls to accomodate the foals. One stall was recovered today with the sale of the underachieving 4yo Seven Memory to Raja Stables. Another stall will be picked up when Shadowcat is sold. The third stall will be gained by the sale of either Doomsday, Kid Flash, Majestic Song, Bane, or Quicksilver. Indeed, it is quite possible that two or perhaps even three of these horses will be sold.

One thing is for sure, we're not the only stable that will be forced to make some quick and sometimes drastic decisions.

No comments: