Visitors

Sunday, November 09, 2008

2012 planning begins early...


It seems like I start planning earlier every season.

I have literally been itching for the past several weeks to set up breeding pairs and to divest myself of horses that do not figure into next years plans. In fact, it has been with the greatest strength of will that I haven't put several horses up for early auction.

In an attempt to beat the year-end rush, and in spite of exemplary results, I seriously considered selling both Confederation and Stowaway recently. After all, they are both 5 years old; how much longer can they compete?

After consultation with my training staff and studying their race results and AR's, I've decided to keep both horses as racers in 2012. I'm sure this is the right decision, but it was touch and go for awhile as I was equally sure that selling them might be timely and correct just a couple weeks ago.

To open up stall space for my incoming foal crop, True Ensign will be sent back to sentimental owner Lise Harrison at Eureka Racing Stables at the end of the season. Additionally, the recently acquired 3yo Hex, might eventually have to be sacrificed.

My 3yo filly Rogue (War Machine x Dragon Flyer) has been rumored to be available. There is some truth to that. I might consider shipping her to another stable, even though her results have been more encouraging lately.

On the breeding front, I am currently considering the following pairings and names:

Revenge x Nova
Colt - Quasar
Filly - Lightning Lass

War Machine x In Spirit
Colt - Sakr-el-Bahr
Filly - Witchblade

Union Jack x Shattered Record
Colt - Caius Britainnicus
Filly - Boudica

Nightwing x Affirm Gal
Colt - Darkhawk
Filly - Moondragon

I'm currently looking for a mare to lease so I can produce a second War Machine foal.

That's what I'm thinking for now. I'm sure I will contemplate changes before the end of the season though.

No comments: