Visitors

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Otsego owner waiting for stable changeover...


We've always fancied ourselves as a racing stable.

For many seasons, I dabbled in breeding but did not really commit to it. I always preferred buying veteran racers or unraced youngsters rather than making the stall-consumptive decision to breed my own foals and wait for them to attain racing age.

Because I wasn't housing broodmares and foals, I had room for plenty of racers. However, over the years, I've found that it is intrinsically more satisfying to breed and race your own; even if it means racing quite a bit less.

Hence my changeover to a breeding farm. It'll be a transformation over the next season and a half, but I'll emerge as a leaner organization. I envision 7-10 racers with the rest of my space being allotted to studs, mares, and foals.

Next year will be a transition year. I'll only have four new 2yo's, and one of them (War Hammer) will be a late bloomer who'll get a pass for most of the season.

In 2014 however, we will throw ten 2yo's into the fray, including some of our most compelling foals ever. Including...

Azrael (c) - Nightwing x Affirm Gal
Deep Magic (c) - War Machine x Isca's Revenge
Quasar (c) - Revenge x Nova
Xtra Run (f) - Run Missy Run x Xtra Heat
You Know My Name (f) - Union Jack x Shattered Record

Now, if I can just get through next year. I hope Nebula (Dubai Gold x Nova) can help ease the pain of waiting...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally u have made the right decision Sir Jim

Be very interesting to see how u do as a breeder ... I start my breeding plans at the start of the year and usually go through a whole season to find the right stallion for the right mare .. Sometimes i find the right stallion straight away sometimes it takes me till end of the season but i neva think shit i should of used this stallion with this mare .. Ohhh and its always good to keep a few mares without stallions for end of season because u just neva know who will retire


Foxie

Anonymous said...

good luck jimbo mate i dont know why you havent done this sooner. i love be a breeding stable i mean i have 54 stalls but i always only have at most 18 racers in my barn. and it still works out fine i mean im running 5th in leading stables table even with that small number i think i only have 13 racers at the moment and 5 are 2yr olds that arent mature yet. its so gratfying when you breed a beast and then boom its a decent horse. i dont breed that many really about 15 a season but am also in top 6 for breeders and i just love it when you breed a monster. i have been blessed in that i have bred a fricken speed machine in RunMissyRun. a staying super-star Tony Montana. it feels so good and i spose thats why i brag about them when u breed a horse of that ilk its just u want everyone too know. my aim is now too breed a super-star filly/mare and in my yearlings that will race next year i feel will be my best ever crop keep an eye on A FILLY NAMED CASHED UP CAMENA AND A COLT NAMED REINING MONEY who is a 1/2 too runny by smart money. good luck mate


golden acres