Visitors

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Crowded 2yo races are not in the cards...


Everyone is understandably curious about their new 2yo racers. We all want to get them on the track as soon as possible to satisfy that curiosity.

However, there are only two age-appropriate races in the first weekend. That means crowded fields, which means Otsego Farms will not participate. As of this writing, a week before raceday, the fields stand at 14 for the Lightning Stakes and 13 horses for the Ungraded Allowance. They will both most certainly have 20 racers by the entry cutoff on Thursday night.

There are some races for which I will endure a large field. The Kentucky Derby or Dubai World Cup come to mind. But I will not subject my horses to a chaotic 20 horse field in their first race for a measly $25,000 purse.

I expect my 2yo's will sit out the first few weeks of the season. By then, the initial crush to race will have subsided somewhat. which will hopefully translate into more reasonable fields.

6 comments:

Jim Webber said...

I see that Rainbow has entered the War Machine offspring, White War in the Lightning Stakes. He is the first WM colt or filly to race. I'll be very interested to see how he does in a 3 furlong all-out sprint. Good Luck EC!

Anonymous said...

Very well said Jim I couldn't agree more with you, hard to see how good your pony is running in a crowd of 19 other horses. (Callowaykid)

Daz said...

well I kinda agree with your comments , but I had a re-think and I have 5 out of 5 early maturing 2yo's and the first pot of gold is the dubai juvenile so I have to get them racing to see if they are good enough to make that race in week 13. I have about 30k to my stables name so any chunk of that dubai prizemoney will be most welcome as well.

Jim Webber said...

You make a good point Darren. That Dubai Juvie does come pretty early. If I wait too long, I'll not know whether I've got a possible participant or not.

Just 30k right now Daz? A far cry from the days when Dansilver was running amok, huh Mate?

Anonymous said...

yep just 30k , but its been the best spent 170k in PF history, for my 170k I got 4 unraced 2yo's and 1 seasoned 4yo good performer whom has good earning potencial for another 3 or 4 seasons. A good stallion in Argonath who's AR reads as good as most I seen. plus 2 broodmares , that have produced 2 foals already. Add in the 2 free horses I got A 2yo dansilver filly and 4yo the voice, and the stable is pretty solid.Just need some winners now to get that ball rolling......

DJ said...

As Darren pointed out, a lot depends on your situation. I have eleven 2YO's. The only races I'm avoiding early are the distance races. I'll have an entry in 11 of the first 17 2YO races. I want to find out as soon as I can where each of them is at (I only have AR's for 5 of the 11.), and then I'll determine where to go from there with each of them.